Dr. Nayan Mani Deka
Dr. Nayan Mani Deka
About / Area of Interest
I am dedicated to give my entire effort for the well being of all little angels to make them healthy and prosperous citizen of this country. I am specially interested to build my Pediatric and Neonatal unit to the state of the art level. My special area of interest is pediatric and neonatal intensive care which is specifically lagging behind in this part of the country. I am confident enough to say that my devotion, sincerity, hard work and passion to the subject will lead the institution to a new height.
Trained in Pediatrics and Neonatal Intensive Care (PICU/NICU)
(91) 94367 32863 , (91) 88128 66239
Senior Resident Doctor, NEIGRIHMS, Shillong 2008 - 2011
Conference Seminar Details
Govt of India’s Navjaat Shishu Suraksha Karyakram (NSSK) - National Institute of Health and Family Welfare, Munirka, New Delhi, 6-7th Feb 2010.
Basic Pediatric Intensive Care course Workshop - NEIGRIHMS, Shillong, 10-11th September 2010.
APLS: The Pediatric Emergency Medicine Course, preconference workshop - EMCON 2009, Downtown Hospitals,Guwahati, 18-19th
November 2009. 11th international conference of society for emergency medicine.
Workshop on neonatal CPAP - IAP Guwahati city branch, GNRC Hospital, 23rd May2010.
Golden Hour Emergency Management course (IAP-GEM) - Institute of human reproduction, Guwahati, Assam, 10-11th October 2009.
Asthma training module workshop, IAP vision 2007 - IAP Guwahati city branch, Pratiksha Hospital, Guwahati 9th September 2007.
Pediatric adnavced life support,Provider Course (PALS course) - VKNRL Hospital,NRL Hospital,Numaligarh,Assam, 9-10th September 2006.
Workshop on under five child survival interventions, IAP vision 2007 - IAP Assam state branch, Marwari maternity hospital, Guwahati, 12th August 2007.
Multi skill upgradation and renewal workshop - ISAJAC 2008 NEIGRIHMS, 12th September.
Training programme on AIDS - Guwahati Medical College, Guwahati, 21-23rd November 2006.
MIC training programme - NEIGRIHMS, Shillong.
Master trainer (resource person) Navjaat Shishu Suraksha Karyakram (NSSK) - Regional Health and Family Welfare Training Centre, Shillong, 17-20th July 2010.
Master trainer (resource person) F-IMNCI training programme - Ganesh Das Hospital, Polo, Shillong.
PALS course, 2012 (Pediatric Advanced Life Support) - NEIGRIHMS, Shillong on 13-14 October 2012.
IAP-AAP-LDSC Neonatal Resuscitation Programme: First Golden Minute Project, 2012 - Gurgaon, Leisure Valley on 17-18 January 2012.
Analysis of children admitted with hypertension in Neigrihms ,Shillong - 23 rd annual Conference IAP, Assam state branch ,Dibrugarh, .Assam, December 2009.
Empyema thoracis in children - 23 rd annual Conference IAP, Assam state branch,Dibrugarh, .Assam, December 2009.
Role C reactive protein as a predictor of early onset sepsis in new born babies born with high risk factor for sepsis - XXVII Annual convention of the National Neonatology Forum NEOCON 2007 AFMC, Pune, 13th-16th December 2007.
Abnormal liver function test in scrub typhus in pediatric age group - 37th annual conference of Association of Clinical Biochemists of India (ACBICON) from December 13-15, 2010, Mumbai.
XII th east zone conference and XX th Assam state conference of Indian Academy of Pediatrics, 19-20th November, 2005, Guwahati, Assam.
21st Annual conference of Indian Academy of Pediatrics, Assam state branch, Golaghat, 23rd -24th December, 2006.
1st North east CME on pediatric rheumatology, Department of Pediatrics Disciplines, NEIGRIHMS, Shillong, 7th July 2007.
XXVII Annual convention of the National Neonatology Forum NEOCON 2007 AFMC, Pune, 13th-16th December 2007.
Mid term CME on Hemato-Oncology, IAP Assam state branch, Assam 15th July 2006.
Zonal CME by IAP respiratory chapter, “Awesome Pulmonology”, Sikkim Manipal Institute of Medical Sciences, Gangtok, 24th May 2008.
Update on respiratory diseases in children, Department of Pediatrics, SMIMS and STNM hospital on 25th May 2008 in SMIMS, Gangtok.
Joint 18th eastern zone and 2nd Meghalaya branch, Indian society of Anaesthesiologists, Annual conference, NEIGRIHMS Shillong, 12-14th September 2008.
APLS: Pediatric Emergency Medicine Course,18th-19th November,2009
Experience as a Senior Resident in Department of Pediatrics, NEIGRIHMS
We had 13 bedded PICU with a General Ward capacity of 34 and a separate Neonatal Intensive Care Unit with 6 bed. Pediatric ICU can take care of mechanically ventilating 6 Pediatric patient at a time with various bed side procedures being done.
• Central Line Insertion
• Arterial Line
• Chest Tube Insertion
• Exchange Transfusion
• Peritoneal Dialysis
• Ventricular tapping
• Surfactant therapy to preterm neonates
• CPAP therapy
Daily OPD attendance was about 100 – 120 patients per day with Immunization Clinic.
Senior Resident had to take classes of BSc Nursing Students and bed side clinics and theory classes of under graduates with departmental academic thrice a week and inter departmental presentations.
1. Rashna Dass, Nayan Mani Deka, Himesh Barman, Sourabh Gohain Duwarah, A B Khryiem, Manuj Kumar Saikia, Rejaul Hoque, Dwijendra Mili. Empyema Thoracis: Analysis of 150 Cases from a Tertiary Care Centre in North East India. Indian J Pediatr. 2011 May 8. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 21553207 [Pubmed]. (Original article). DOI 10. 1007/s12098-011-0416-y.
2. Rashna Dass, Nayan Mani Deka, Sourabh Gohain Duwarah, Himesh Barman, Rejaul Hoque, Dwijendra Mili, Dibakar Borthakur. Characteristics of Pediatric Scrub Typhus during an Outbreak in the North Eastern Region of India: Peculiarities in Clinical Presentation, Laboratory Findings and Complications. Indian J Pediatr. 2011 Jun 1. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 21630069 [Pubmed]. (Original article). DOI 10. 1007/s12098-011-0470-5.
3. Nayan Mani Deka, Rashna Dass, Bipul Kumar Das, Rejaul Hoque, Dwijendra Mili, Karalanglin Tiewsoh. Phenytoin induced DRESS syndrome in a pediatric case. Indian J pediatr. DOI 10. 1007/s 12098-012-0715-7. Published online 29 April 2012.
4. Rashna Dass, Nayan Mani Deka, A B Khyriem*, W V Lyndoh*, Himesh Barman, Sourabh Gohain Duwarah, Rejaul Haque, Dwijendra Mili, Bipul Kumar Das, Karalanglin Tiewsoh, Pankaj Jain, Vivek Choudhury, Dibakar Borthakur. Invasive Meningococcal Infection In Children: Analysis of 110 cases from a tertiary care centre in North East India. Original Article. Indian J Pediatr. DOI 10.1007/s 12098-012-0855-0. Published online: 22 July 2012.
5. Rashna Dass, Himesh Barman, Sourabh Gohain Duwarah, Nayan Mani Deka, Pankaj Jain, Vivek Choudhury. Unusual Presentations of Malaria: An experience from a tertiary care centre in North East India. Indian J Pediatr. 2010 Jun; 77 (6): 655-60. Epub 2010Mar 31. PMID: 20358313 [Pubmed-indexed for Medline. (Original article).
6. Rashna Dass, Himesh Barman, Sourabh Gohain Duwarah, Vivek Choudhury, Pankaj Jain, Nayan Mani Deka, Manjula Murari. Macrophage activation syndrome in Malaria. Rheumatology International 2010 Jun; 30 (8): 1099-101. Epub 2009 Jun 11. PMID: 19593570 [Pubmed-indexed for Medline]. (Case Report). DOI: 10.1007/s00296-009-1033-1.
7. Rashna Dass, Himesh Barman, Sourabh Gohain Duwarah, Nayan Mani Deka, Pankaj Jain ,Vivek Choudhury. Immune complex reaction after successful treatment of meningococcal disease: an excellent response to IVIG. Rheumatology International. 2010 July 24. PMID: 20658236 [Pubmed]. (Case Report). DOI: 10.1007/s00296-010-1555-6.
8. Rashna Dass, Himesh Barman,Saurabh Sarma ,Pubali Deka, Sourabh Gohain Duwarah,Nayan Mani Deka.Neurocysticercosis presenting as hudrocephalus and bilateral optic atrophy.Journal of Pediatric Neurosciences.2010.Vol 5.issue 1:90-91. PMID: 21042525 [Pubmed]. (Case Report).
9. Dr. Arnab Pal, Dr. Rashna Dass, Dr. Chandan K Nath, Dr. Nayan Deka, Dr.Sourabh Gohain Duwarah, Dr. Himesh Barman. Abnormal liver function test in scrub typhus in pediatric age group (Abstract). Indian Journal of Clinical Biochemistry. Volume 25. Supplement 2010. December 13-15. Pg. 78. ISSN 0970-1915. Proceedings of the 37th annual conference of Association of Clinical Biochemists of India (ACBICON) from December 13-15, 2010, Mumbai
10. Rashna Dass, Nayan Mani Deka, WV Lyngdoh,AB Khyriem, Sourabh Gohain Duwarah, Pankaj Jain ,R Haque,D Mili,V Choudhury. An Overview of Meningococcal disease and its management. Quarterly Journal of Clinical Pediatrics. Vol 4 (January-March) 2010:38-49.
11. Deka NM, Dass R, Khyriem AB, Barman H, Duwarah SG, Hoque R, Mili D,Tiewsoh K, Das B. Haemophilus influenzae type B (Hib) Empyema.NEIGRIHMS journal of medical & health sciences. Volume 2; Issue 1: 2010: 42-44.
12. Dass Rashna, Deka NM, Hoque R, Mili D, Das BK, Tiewsoh K, Borthakur D. Neonatal Resuscitation: A Review of its Evolution and its present status.NEIGRIHMS journal of medical & health sciences. Volume 2; Issue 1: 2010: 12-22.
13. Rashna Dass, Himesh Barman, Sourabh Gohain Duwarah, Vivek Choudhury, Pankaj Jain, Nayan Mani Deka, Pubali Deka. Analysis of children admitted with hypertension in NEIGRIHMS, Shillong (Abstract). Proceeding of the 23rd Annual conference of the Assam State branch of Indian Academy of Pediatrics, 18-19th October 2009, Dibrugarh.
14. Rashna Dass, Himesh Barman, Akash Handique, Sourabh Gohain Duwarah, Vivek Choudhury, Pankaj Jain, Nayan Mani Deka, Suraj Gohain. Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis: a case report. Quarterly Journal of Indian Academy of Pediatrics, Meghalay chapter 2008: vol 1 (August – November issue): 68-72.
15. Rashna Dass, Nayan Mani Deka. Dibakar Borthakur. Chronic kidney disease in children: a review of current literature and experience from a tertiary care centre in North East India. Souvenir, North East Regional seminar on Pediatric Nephrology, IAP Guwahati city branch, 26th September 2010: 17-21
16. Rashna Dass, Nayan Mani Deka. Recurrent abdominal pain in children. Nemcare Hospital Journal 2nd issue.